The Irish Heritage Singers. The name says it all, right? Well, no. There’s much more.
Sharing Ireland’s rich musical heritage is the group’s passion. Pub favorites and folk songs, of course, but also the whimsy of Percy French, the poetry of William Butler Yeats, the rhythmic excitement of Gaelic revival works. And U2. And Enya. And Celtic Woman. Plus the music of such Irish-American composers as Stephen C. Foster and George M. Cohan. The Singers are ambassadors for Irish music, and for the Irish American Heritage Center. And this: Singing is fun.
The weeks leading up to St. Patrick’s Day are our busiest, but the group performs all year long; at the Prairie Center for the Arts in Schaumburg, at Cantigny in Wheaton, at theaters and libraries throughout Chicagoland and the Midwest and at the Center’s Irish Fest in July. And maybe for you.
A few words about our music director, Paul Matijevic. Two degrees in piano performance from DePaul University, an alumnus of the Chicago Symphony Chorus, the William Ferris Chorale, Bella Voce. A superior musician. Paul is a member of the American Choral Directors Association, the American Guild of Musical Artists, Chorus America, and the National Association of Pastoral Musicians.
The Irish Heritage Singers: Culture and passion, ambassadors and entertainers. And fun.
Venues where the Singers have performed:
- Cantigny Park, Wheaton, IL
- Metropolis Performing Arts Center, Arlington Heights, IL
- Prairie Center for the Arts, Schaumburg, IL
- Skokie Theatre – Skokie, IL
- Taste of Chicago; Guests of the Chieftains
- Mount Prospect, Poplar Creek, and other area libraries
- Luther Village and other adult and assisted living communities
- Milwaukee Irish Fest
- Irish Fest at Gaelic Park
- Arlington Heights, Long Grove, Peoria and other Irish Fests
- Elmhurst, IL Park District’s Music Under the Stars Concert Series
- Hoffman Estates Park District’s Summer Concert Series
- Numerous St. Patrick’s Day festivities
- Performances for two Presidents of Ireland
- National Anthem for Schaumburg Boomers, Kane County Cougars and the Chicago Bulls
- The Sligo International Choral Festival, Sligo Ireland
The group has also sung at numerous masses and weddings and the IAHC’s Christmas and Palm Sunday Masses, and perform music in English, Latin and Irish.
Can the Irish Heritage Singers perform for you? To book a performance, for a CD sampler of their music, or for general inquiries, contact John Mahal, Marketing Director at 847-989-5233 or firstname.lastname@example.org.